Attention!!
Ms. Conroy will not be homeless, completely broke, and only able to eat PB&J sandwiches everyday while Brett is in graduate school. After all the worries and concerns, yesterday Ms. Conroy got the phone call that the Project School is offering her a job!!
You have to understand that after an hour and 15 min. long interview of intense questioning on my philosophy of teaching (why I do it, how do I help my kids, what do I use to teach my kids, how does social justice play a role in my classroom...) that I wasn't really sure what was going to happen. I had actually convinced myself that next year would only be a waste and I"d be answering telephones in the Russian Department at Indiana University. Now my outlook on moving to Bloomington has completely changed.
You might be asking, so Ms. Conroy what is so different about this school? Is it anything like Crozet Elementary? Great question - I think for you guys who have been in my classroom (maybe multiple years) know that our classroom environment was pretty different than other classrooms (or at least I like to think that). I worked really hard to focus on things like choice, and doing hands-on things. But you former Crozet kids should know that my style of teaching isn't all that common in a lot of schools. I think it's really important that you all experience learning just like it happens in the real world and that worksheets and boring text books aren't the best way to learn. My new school - all the great things I love about my classroom, happens all over the school!! They have writing and reading workshop and math workshop to do real world problem solving. Not only that but the kids there take a class called the "Passions" class where they choose what topic they want to study!! How awesome is that?? If you are passionate about animals and animal adaptations - you get to study and take a class on it! I guess I should plan to pull out the meal worms again! :)
I think what I am most excited about is the fact that I never thought I would get this job. You guys probably don't know this but jobs for teachers are getting pretty tough. State budgets are not giving enough money to schools and principals are having to let teachers go. In the city I'm moving to over 80 teachers had already been told they wouldn't be coming back next year. If there are 80 teachers that no longer have a job, I wasn't so sure I would be selected to get a position. But when I saw this school I thought - for sure they won't need me. They would think that I wasn't good enough or had enough experience to be a part of their school. I want you all to know that no matter what you think is too high of a reach - it isn't. Somehow I got it, I got something that I NEVER would have thought I could get. I really stretched and applied for something even though I didn't think it would happen. And look where I am?? I get to get married, move to Indiana, AND have a job (that pays real money , not just Conroy cash). I am so happy and I have to thank many of my former students to make it happen. You all are the reason I teach and I am so grateful I had the opportunity to teach you.
Anyway this is my future school - check it out...tell me what you think!
www.bloomingtonprojectschool.org
Love,
Ms. Conroy
I told you you'd get the job!
ReplyDelete