Monday, June 28, 2010

What are YOU reading?L



So I just spent some time with a very good friend of mine who is a librarian in a school up in Northern Virginia. Her apartment is like a mini library with books stacked EVERYWHERE! It's fantastic. Every time I see her I always come away with a list of great books to read. I'm curious to hear what books you all are reading and what you recommend. I want to read a ton when I'm on my honeymoon and sitting on the beach with my new husband. Here are some of the books that I have been enjoying and plan to read:

The Help
By Kathryn Stockett

Definitely a book to read if you're okay with reading about challenging topics like race relations in the South. This story is told by three different narrators - two are African American housekeepers and the third is a young white lady who wants to be writer and tell the story of what life is really like as a housekeeper in the South. This story is so well written and weaves seamlessly in and out of descriptions that I really feel like I am in the story! I have heard that this book is GREAT on audio because you hear the different voices so clearly. I am still reading this book but I have found myself staying up later and later trying to find out what happens. Definitely check it out with your parents if you plan to read because there is some language that they might not want you to read. Overall - a fantastic book and definitely one that I will be keeping on my shelf.




The Truth About Forever
By Sarah Dessen

This is one of my all-time favorites (except for The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler) and I literally read it every summer. Definitely a book I would recommend for girls but there may be some boys that might like it. This story is about a girl who has a boyfriend that expects her to act a certain way all the time. She starts working with a catering company while he is at "nerd" camp and discovers that through this disorganized and insane job that she is good enough to be who she is. Definitely a book that is for young adults (you guys) and has some references of high school behavior (partying) but is a story I cannot put down. I love this author and I think she does an amazing job of having her characters come to life.



Listening Is An Act of Love
Edited by Dave Isay

I picked this book up for my trip after reading the first paragraph! It is a collection of stories written by people who participated in Story Corps. (Remember those personal narratives we wrote and recorded guys?). So basically this group goes around the country asking people to tell stories about the people they love and experiences they have. The notion is that oral history (what stories your grandparents would tell) is disappearing and we are losing the great stories to tell our family's pasts. These stories are so inspirational and there is something about hearing them out loud. Hopefully reading these stories will have the same impact. I can't wait to read this book and will give you all a better review once I finish.

So my question to you is - what are YOU reading? What are the books that you cannot put down this summer? You have time to read and if you need a suggestion - just ask me. I have a list that I am dying to pass along to you. If you have any suggestions to read definitely let me know. :)

Happy Reading!
Love, Ms. Conroy

No comments:

Post a Comment